Avoid Scams and Fraud
The vacation rental business is much like that of Classified newspapers or online sites like Craigslist, Kijiji or eBay — a customer is giving you money upfront for services.
We take every precaution to avoid scams and fraudulent listings however properties listed are not verified that they exist or that the properties have the features listed on the website or in its advertising. Because you are dealing directly with the owner or agent, please always use common sense when booking and completing your transaction.
We recommend that you avoid using hard to trace methods such as Western Union or Moneygram and instead use credit cards if possible. You should also try to obtain a rental agreement with an invoice and proof of ownership or validity of the property.
Any Honest Holiday Rental Property Owner will be more than happy to provide you with any information they can to help you rent their property.
Knowledge is your best defense to protect you from scams.
Here is a list of some of the things you could do to protect yourself:
* Get the owner’s phone number and talk with them in person. Do not simply correspond by Email, Email is anonymous.
* Ask “What information can you provide me that will prove this is your rental property?”
* Ask the owner for several past renter references that you may contact.
* Do a Google Search of the owner’s name/email address and property. See if the property is advertised on other websites and if the contact details match.
* Obtain any phone numbers for property associations, condo management offices or home owners associations. Call to see if the owner name matches the property.
* Ask for a copy of a bill for the property such as the phone, cable, insurance, electric, lawn, or pool bill that will lists the owner at the rental property address.
* Ask if the person owns the property to verify that it is not a Sub-Let.
* Ask for the owner’s personal address and phone number. In the US the white pages can be used to verify this information www.411web.com
* Ask for the phone number of the property management group, pool service, lawn or cleaning service to verify ownership.
* Ask the owner about local area attractions and recommendations. They should know the area well.